Friday, December 29, 2006

Theology Set

Theology

How foolish we are to deny God's grace.
Here we sit on the third planet,
with mass and velocity just so,
and spaced, just so.
And we call it Chance,
all the while resting easy
in the right hand of God.


Theology II

I am a planet in distant orbit.
My sun is Jesus.
His gravity and my mass
held in divine balance.
One atom's change
would send me spiralling in
to his all-consuming love,
or out into the Buddhist's void.
And I muse...perhaps being Jewish is enough.
(To which a friend replies "that's just because
you haven't met my Aunt Sophie")


Theology III

Ah, the fate of Jesus,
a prophet who eschewed earthly glory
(but who earned it anyway),
only to be flanked by others
claiming the right of dominion
or the right of domination,
claiming by blood, claiming with blood,
or claiming through blood,
a secure or ordered world
for the glory of God.
I say the wisdom of the desert fathers is enough:
Keep to the middle, walk to the side.


Theology IV

The Taliban shell the Buddhist statues at Bamyan,
as if blowing up rock
can destroy an idea.
Buddhist thought informed the Sufis,
children of Abraham,
who in turn, dancing within Islam,
love Jesus,who, in turn,
learned to love all.
Cannon shells, religious vanity, and fear (always fear)
cannot break this chain.

No comments: